Friday, September 20, 2013

Christmas in September

I know it's way too soon for this. Even the stores wait until after Halloween to start putting up Christmas decorations. But looking at all of the Artist Market applications for the December 7th Holiday Market has me thinking Christmas. 

One of my favorite decorations is an Artist Market find (surprise, surprise) - my quilted forever wreath from One Mor Quilt. Full disclosure: I'm biased. One Mor Quilt is the work of my mother in law, so I know first hand how much work goes into these quilts.


This handmade wreath features hundreds of little pieces of fabric - check out the close ups below. That's a lot of effort hanging above my mantle. And it doesn't shed needles. 

It'll take Elvira a little time to make you one of these, so you should probably order soon. This is one time you want to think Christmas ... in September.





A little about Elvira Gastaldo, owner of One Mor Quilt:

I started quilting in 1973 when fabric was not what it is today and methods of construction were archaic. I made templates using cereal boxes and then drew each piece of the pattern on the fabric, cutting each piece out with a pair of scissors. I can make 6 quilts today with the time spent on just getting one ready back then. Quilting was a means to an end back at that time (if I wanted one, I had to make it) and my creative inner self went to Antique Reproduction Samplers (Counted Cross Stitch) on linen. As we traveled the world, I was able to take this easily along for the ride. Upon moving to Maine in 1999, quilting found me when I was asked to be the faculty adviser for the Quilting Club. This actually translates into teaching one evening a week during the academic year. I know that this is what I am suppose to be doing. I am suppose to be passing the art and tradition of quilting on to the next generation. I love sharing my gifts with family and friends and now have decided to share them with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment