Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cereal Party Success!

So about half way through planning our September 2009 wedding, I had the realization that a brunch wedding was the way to go.  Venues would be less expensive, everyone loves brunch food, and you'd save a good deal on alcohol since you'd only need mimosas and bloody marys.  We were too far into our planning to pull it off.  I'm not complaining - I loved how our wedding turned out.  But since then, I've been determined to have a brunch party.

My 30th birthday turned into the perfect opportunity.  I hinted to my husband for probably the better part of a six month period as to what I would love to do.  A self proclaimed cereal connoisseur, I hoped for a cereal bar and cereal inspired treats.

Well, here's how he (we) pulled it off! 





Rice Krispies Treats - but instead of rice krispies, we used Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Lucky Charms.  Ridiculously good.  

I made the dessert stands with some plates and glasses from Goodwill and some spray paint.  See the tutorial here.  Quick tip though - you can't put food on spray painted items, so be sure to buy doilies.  I had to go with wax paper instead.





Thanks to my talented brother in law and husband, there were also mini quiches and monte cristo sandwiches.  Sausage balls, pigs in a blanket and a cereal bar filled the rest of the spread.  Oh!  And Krispy Kreme donut bread pudding.  Yes, you read that right - donut bread pudding.  It disappeared before I was able to snap a picture.




Side note:  I cannot express how EXCITED adults were to be able to wear PJs to a party.



  
And the grand finale - crepe cake.  My brother in law made this 20-some layer chocolate crepe cake with Nutella filling and candied hazelnuts on top.  Ridiculously time consuming, but quite impressive.




Proof that theme parties aren't just for kids!  Just sets the bar pretty high for my 31st ... better start brainstorming now.  In the meantime, check out my Pinterest page with other DIY projects and party planning ideas!  And keep checking the blog for Lowcountry Artist Market info.  I hope to have an official March date this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment