Tuesday, July 31, 2012

How I Wore It: Guest Post from Inherited's Sabrina Heise


I’m Sabrina, and my shop is Inherited. I hunt for vintage clothes and accessories from the 1910s to the 1980s that look like they have a good story to them. Today, I’m showing how I’d style some vintage pieces from my shop that can be worn in modern life without looking like you’re dressed for Halloween or a theme party. I’m not a fashion blogger (as you can probably tell from the awkward poses/faces), so bear with me!


This set is a fantastic jade green brocade top and skirt by Rosette Pennington New York. A newspaper article from the 1940s described Pennington as someone who “ "makes a business of choosing young and attractive wardrobes for the debutante crowd." 


 This is the bare-bones matching shell and skirt. The top buttons down the back and has the boxy look that was so trendy in the mid-1960s.


Putting a more modern spin on the vintage set, I belted the top with a skinny belt [to give the outfit a peplum effect. The fashion world often looks to the past for inspiration; often you can use vintage pieces to create a look that is completely on (or ahead of!) trends. The outfit was completed with neutral heels and a simple necklace.


Splitting up the pieces, I paired the top with dark skinny jeans, a modern necklace and some fun heels. I think it makes the top look less formal, and the brocade texture paired really nicely with denim.


Vintage pairs well with vintage-inspired. I matched the skirt with an ivory silk top from Urban Outfitters that has a pretty, bohemian feel.


Vintage + Vintage: I pulled this peach ruffled blouse from the Inherited racks because I thought the peach and jade would make an interesting color contrast. If you’re wearing head-to-toe vintage, pairing pieces from different decades keeps the outfit from looking too costumey. (I call this pose my “Miss Congeniality” pose.)

Vintage is so much fun; it’s nostalgic and has a one-of-a-kind appeal. You’d be surprised how easily you can work vintage pieces into your everyday wardrobe!


Thanks Sabrina! We're lucky enough to have Sabrina contributing these "How I Wore It" from time to time, so be sure to keep an eye out. You should also:


No comments:

Post a Comment