Monday, December 19, 2011

Tomato Planter Christmas Trees

I've been tempted to buy the prefab guys, like these, but $40+ just seemed too expensive.  Thank goodness for the internet.  Pinterest, specifically.  I found this easy (read: cheap and easy) solution.  





If you can't tell - that's just an upside down tomato cage and a ton of lights.  

42" Tomato Cage - $2.57
3 sets 100 Lights - $2.68x3

Total:  $10.61


Made one for each side of the door.  Not too shabby. 


Testing the lights first, of course.



The only part that had any real planning was wrapping the bottom layer.  Just threaded the lights around the bottom loop.



Then diagonally up and down the "tree" until it looked full.  These pictures are with 1 strand of 150 lights, but I ended up adding more for the final picture - 300 lights total.


I thought I would need florist wire to secure the top, but the lights did it for me.  Just wrapped them around each other to tighten up the top.



That's all there is to it.  My Mom actually made one as well - but wrapped it with greenery first and it looks great.  This is an easy project to make your own.


One step closer to being ready for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment